2012 International Year of Co-operatives
Cooperatives are a reminder to the international community that it is possible to pursue both economic viability and social responsibility.
(United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon)
The United Nations General Assembly approved the resolution A/RES/64/136 and proclaimed 2012 as the International Year of Co-operatives (IYC) in December 2009. The resolution recognizes that co-operatives promote the fullest possible participation in the economic and social development of all people, that co-operatives are a becoming a major factor of economic and social development and contribute to the eradication of poverty.
The UN's goals for the IYC are to:
- Increase public awareness about co-operatives and their contributions to socio-economic development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
- Promote the formation and growth of co-operatives.
- Encourage governments to establish policies, laws and regulations conducive to the formation, growth and stability of co-operatives.
Be part of it! 2012 - International Year of Co-operatives is a unique chance to celebrate co-operatives as being an important but different type of business model.
International Year of Co-operatives - Co-operative Enterprises build a better world.
Ask your committee to adopt the following resolution:
__________ housing co-operative resolves to:
- Join with the members of CCH and Co-operatives UK in supporting and celebrating 2012 as the International Year of Co-operatives.
- Recognise the vital role that co-operatives play in the economic and social wellbeing of the United Kingdom.
- Celebrate the International Year of Co-operatives by engaging in efforts to raise the profile of co-operatives and demonstrate how co-operatives help build a better world by sharing wealth and giving members an equal say.
- Endorse the global ICA Housing IYC 2012 banner campaign.
- Participate in the global Governance Project for sound co-op housing governance.
- Commit your co-op to only use timber and other forest products from sustainable and certified forest management sources in your housing construction and maintenance projects.
Adopting this resolution shows your commitment to celebrate the International Year of Co-operatives in a way that provides lasting benefits to your community, your co-operative and the co-operative movement.
CCH is also working with the International Co-operative Alliance Housing Sector to produce a banner for your estate which can be customised with your name and logo. Please contact Jane <email@example.com> at CCH for more information about where to buy one.
The logo of the International Year of Co-operatives 2012 evokes the definition of co-operative enterprises as autonomous associations of persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social and cultural needs and aspirations, through a jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprise.
Based on the slogan of the year, 'Co-operative enterprises build a better world', the logo features seven people working together to lift and support a cube. The cube represents the various projects goals and aspirations upon which co-operative enterprises are built, and the achievements that can be attained. The gender neutral figures represent the people factor central to the co-operative model, and there are seven of them, to represent the seven principles of the co-operative movement, i.e. voluntary and open membership, democratic member control, member economic participation, autonomy and independence, education, training, and information, co-operation among co-operatives, and concern for community.
How to use the logo
The official logo for IYC is available to use for promotional materials for events organized in celebration of the Year. For more information on the eligible authorized uses of the logo please read the IYC logo disclaimer and guidelines (PDF). [If you are not a CCH member you will have to apply to use it by filling in the disclaimer.]
CCH members are already entitled to use the logo. Please contact Jane <firstname.lastname@example.org> at CCH and she will email the logo to you.
The calendarCo-operatives UK has created an interactive calendar for the International Year. You can add your events to the calendar and see what other organisations around the UK have planned to celebrate during the International Year of Co-operatives. There is also a global calendar on the global IYC 2012 website.
CCH Conference 2012
The annual CCH conference (13th to 15th July - once again at Warwick University) will be based on the International Year of Co-operatives. More information will be up on the site soon! Watch this space!