Mutual Housing Event
On 19th November 2010, an event was held at RICS offices in Parliament Square - to bring together about 70 representatives from cohousing schemes, community gateways, community land trusts, development trusts, housing co-ops, self build schemes and tenant management organisations - under the heading Mutual Housing. The aim of the event was to bring together the different sectors - for attendees to learn about the other sectors - and to enable discussion about how the sectors could work together.
The event was jointly organised by the Homes & Communities Agency (we particularly note our thanks to Dinah Roake from the HCA for her invaluable assistance) and by Nic Bliss (from CCH).
The overall conclusion of the day was that there are considerable common threads between the different sectors and that we need to work together to develop a common voice between ourselves for community-led and mutual housing. The Mutual Housing Group will consider a formal terms of reference and structure to enable this to happen.
The event was addressed by:
- Stephen Hill - Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors
- Nic Bliss - CCH & Commission for Co-operative & Mutual Housing
- Terrie Alafat - Department of Communities & Local Government
- Alan Heeks/Martin Field - Cohousing Network
- Roy Read - National Federation of TMOs
- Catherine Harrington - Community Land Trust Network
- Karen Perry - Community Gateway Association
- Jackson Moulding - National Self-Build Association
- Bryony Vickers - Confederation of Co-operative Housing
- Joanne Gooding - Development Trusts Association
Their presentations are available here:
Stephen Hill - RICS
(MS Powerpoint .ppt, 98 Kb).
Nic Bliss - Introduction
(Powerpoint XML format, 7552 Kb)
Terrie Alafat - The Government's view
(MS Powerpoint .ppt, 186 Kb).
Martin Field, Alan Heeks - Cohousing
(Powerpoint XML format, 404 Kb)
Roy Read - Tenant Management
(MS Powerpoint .ppt, 2371 Kb).
(Powerpoint XML format, 1041 Kb)
Karen Perry - Community Gateway
(MS Powerpoint .ppt, 466 Kb).
Jackson Moulding - Self-build - Self Organised Housing
(MS Powerpoint .ppt, 1524 Kb).
Joanne Gooding - Development trusts
(MS Powerpoint .ppt, 1142 Kb).
Bryony Vickers - Housing Co-ops
(Powerpoint XML format, 3555 Kb)
5 workshop discussions debated how the different sectors might collaborate. Workshop notes:
(DOCX, 14 Kb)
(DOCX, 14 Kb)
More to come.